chrisross

Jared Diamond
SPOILER ALERT!

A Feminist View of Women vs. the Islamic State

A Road Unforeseen: Women Fight the Islamic State - Meredith Tax

This is a good book though it got immensely better in Chapter 7 and stayed that way until the end.

This book is written by self-described feminist, Meredith Tax, whom I have never heard of before picking up this book.  I admit I picked it up because it had a woman on the cover with a Kalashnikov slung over her back and I love reading War books about the the recent Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to understand why, the outcomes, larger geo-political, and societal ramifications and destabilization which the United States has now inflicted on the region and I thought this book would be very different than what it was really about.

This book will give the average person/American a pretty good understanding of what has happened in the region and a history back to 2001 and even before then that the layperson can understand.  This being said there are many things Tax writes in the book that I disagree with and find befuddling which I will address here.

1. Page 26 which says that conservatives are opposed to gay rights [LGBTQ rights], Roe v. Wade, and abortion. I would disagree with this and say that many modern conservatives are not against these things they just don't want the taxpayer to have to pay for abortion and many have no issue with gay or LGBTQ rights and many are cringing at what current President Trump is doing with respect to these things.

2. Page 28 ..."women's unpaid work caring for children and the elderly props up the whole economy."  I'm not sure I follow this logic or argument and while I agree many women in this country do lots of unpaid work in these areas I am not sure the economy would collapse if women no longer did these things and I wonder if this is the argument Tax is making?

3. Page 144 "...there are no attempts to outlaw marriage, which still remains globally the central apparatus to ensure sexual access and unpaid reproductive labor." I interpret this mean that men want to have sex with women to make them have children and that having children will result in free labor.  I really don't believe this to be the case in Western society and I find this statement and logic appalling.

Other parts in the book where I made notes are not arguments about or against Tax are:

1. Page 126, the requirements to join the PKK sound like that of a cult

2. The CIA armed and helped Turkey to defeat the Kurds and now we are arming the Kurds to defeat Daesh which is what we did in Afghanistan to help them defeat the Soviets and we armed and helped UBL and the mujahadin defeat the Soviet Union and then armed another group of Warlords in Afghanistan to defeat the Taliban 12 years later. Why have our Politicians and our CIA not learned that meddling in the affairs of other countries and arming different factions never seems to have a good outcome for The United States?

3. There was a comment and story about the State building up and beautifying the public squares (what we in America would call downtown areas) and pushing the poor people to the outskirts of town.  This is the very model the IOC and Olympic host cities have taken, spend lots of money to build and beautify infrastructure, attract the world or really the wealthy of the world to watch sport, which allows a select few to make money from the tourist dollars and then they pack up and leave, leaving the infrastructure behind to fall into disrepair or hope that the local community can start or continue to fund the upkeep of the infrastructure so that it doesn't fall into disrepair.

4. The Turkish Government and other State's have set up lobbying organizations to lobby The United States Congress and pay for trips to the region to help Turkey and Syria which is part of the problem with the US Special Interest money system and this money could better help the Kurds.

A very interesting book that I recommend reading.