chrisross

chrisross

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
Jared Diamond

As the title says: You too can go to college without incurring debt

Debt-Free U: How I Paid for an Outstanding College Education Without Loans, Scholarships, Or Mooching Off My Parents - Zac Bissonnette, Andrew Tobias

This is a very good book and I am reading books about paying for college and College Financial Aid because I am two years away from having a college Freshman and paying for college.

From what I have read I believe I will not receive Financial Aid for my daughters and I figured that from day one.

Zac's premise is that if you go to an in state school you can pay for college by the student working part time and full time or more during the summers and the parents working more or taking on a second or third part time job to pay for college.

While this logic is sound it is not the reality for many Americans.  Zac cautions against sending your child to an Ivy League school or even an out-of-state State school and while I agree with the logic about the Ivy League's I disagree regarding the out-of-state, State schools.  Where I live in Utah and in many other states there are reciprocity agreements so that if you go to a neighboring state you can still pay in-state tuition or close to it.  Furthermore, there is something to be said for sending your child to college and it being far enough away that they truly have to live on their own.

Zac also recommends buying real estate in a college town and I may try to do this where my daughters go to college.

This is a very good book and Zac has a great sense of humor too.

I highly recommend this book.