chrisross

David Klinger
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
Jared Diamond

The Fall of the King of Beers

Bitter Brew: The Rise and Fall of Anheuser-Busch and America's Kings of Beer - William Knoedelseder

I listened to the audio book and it was outstanding and very interesting.

This is yet another story of an American company and icon being bought by foreigners or a foreign investment group or company.

What is astounding is that the Busch family combined did not own controlling interest of the company in stock yet a Busch family member was always the CEO and/or COB until purchasing by InBev.  What is even more astounding is the amount of money the Busch family spent frivolously on corporate sponsorships, advertising, and Busch the IV's drug and partying habits and the wake of dead women he left behind without any punishment or being held accountable or responsible for his actions.

I was shocked when I heard of AB being purchased and thought that this could not happen and should not happen yet it did.

Greatly disturbing too was the payday the investors that structured the buyout/hostile takeover received while they were closing plants and laying off workers.

This is a great book and from a business perspective a great case study of how not to run a business to avoid bankruptcy or a hostile takeover.

I highly recommend this book.