chrisross

chrisross

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
Jared Diamond

Invest in a Good Flashlight

Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders - L. David Marquet

I listened to the audio book and it is oustanding!  I highly recommend this book.

The book chronicles Captain L. David Marquet and how he take the U.S.S. Sante Fe from worst to first in the Pacific Submarine Fleet by implementing a leader-leader rather than a leader-follower style.

He uses many ideas from Dr. Stephen Covey with particular emphasis on start with the end in mind.  He empowers his crew and gives them the authority to run the ship, be in charge of their departments, their personnel, and be accountable for their success or failure.  He challenges and successfully changed the NAVY's bureaucratic systems from Nuke Safety measures, to approvals for leave requests, to allowing his crew to tell him he is wrong during a training exercise to pick up Navy Seals that would have resulting in running his sub ashore had his crew not questioned his statement, order, and authority in that situation. This is generally a court martial offense in the military.

Marquet teaches his crew to use the, "Captain, I intend to..." phrase for conducting the day to day operations of the ship, focusing on people rather than technology, coming up with a motto of "We Learn", and training with the goal of ensuring you will not be missed or that any person will not be missed when gone or transferred to another position in the Navy or on leave, and these are all fabulous ideas.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it to any business leader.